The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
23 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

I hate grocery shopping in Sweden

A rant about rude people at my local stores

DidiE
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:23 PM
Post #1

I am normally Miss Peace and Love here. But it's time for a whinging, self-indulgent, hate-filled post about the total lack of customer orientation in the Swedish grocery stores I frequent. I hate them. I hate the people who shop there, I hate the high prices, lack of selection, and oh yeah most of all I hate the people who shop there. In fact, I would not even mind the high prices and lack of selection nearly as much if I was just allowed to shoot the following :

1. The old lady who blocks the aisle that is already too small, and then glares at you if you touch her precious little cart to get around after you've said ursäkta five fruvving times

2. The pimp-cum-husband in his gold chains screaming in some unintelligible language at his poor wife, who is cowering in the cheese aisle (for that I'd give up shooting rights to let HER pull the trigger)

3. The single checker who looks up nonchalantly at the twenty people queued up and then goes back to chewing her gum as she slowly scans each item

4. The little band of juveniles who crowd around the godis bins

And all the other shoppers who get in my way, tail gate me to and from the store, and in general cut in front of other people, leave produce all around the store, take twenty times longer than they should to pay, and make my life a living hell. These people would not last a day in an average surburban grocery store in North America because the rest of us would kill them.

Go ahead. Point out all the holes in my thinking, call me a clown-hating, nazi-loving anti-cheesecake, typical consumerist-obsessed American whinging on cos I don't have my forty brands of toothpaste to choose from. It's all true, except the naziloving part, and it doesn't change a thing about my deep hatred today for all things Lidl, Ica and Coop.
Go to the top of the page
+
PageyGB
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:27 PM
Post #2

That sums up pretty much all my gripes except the rotten fruit and veg that stays on the shelves... don't forget that!!!
+
Mo
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:32 PM
Post #3

attended by a swarming cloud of fruitflies, next aisle over for stale sugary bread.

:-(
+
Nicklouse
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:33 PM
Post #4

read a post similar to yours on an english site complaining about some UK Grocery stores.

It is not just Sweden.
+
bonjour
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Swedish supermarkets are s**t.

Awful, tasteless breakfast cereals, even worse "desserts", about three types of reject discount store biscuits, incredibly over-priced tasteless bread, tiny range of candy (i.e. milk chocolate or dark chocolate, end of).

Cheap, chatty looking, crap.
+
bonjour
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:39 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Nicklouse)
read a post similar to yours on an english site complaining about some UK Grocery stores.

It is not just Sweden.

Yes it is just Sweden. Where did they go - a discount Netto in Toxteth?

UK supermarkets are generally far superior - take a look at the range of food there - it's close to paradise. Plus you can buy your wine and beer there, not some watery dross for 15kr a can.
+
Mack
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:41 PM
Post #7

Ahhh my favourites are the ones that ask to cut the line because they only have one thing and then get into an argument about the price with the cashier... after 5 minutes they then storm off not buying anything. Also there was the crazy women that followed me around all through the store crashing her cart into my leg every chance she got... and that was all in Canada.

Even though Sweden has its unique frustrations (high prices, poor selection, poor quality fresh food) general stupidity is alive and well in nearly every grocery store in every country :roll:
+
Mack
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:44 PM
Post #8

Ohhh... also don't forget the people that grope every piece of food in a bin and then buy none of it...
+
PageyGB
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:45 PM
Post #9

Oi! Bonjour, leave the Netto in Toxteth alone!!!! It's fine... although the closest thing to a Swedish "supermarket" I've seen.

And the guy who compared UK supermarkets to Swedish ones obviously has never been to a Sainsbury, Asda or Morrisons. God I miss them.
+
DidiE
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:46 PM
Post #10

Yeah Mack, stupids is everywhere, but when you combine stupids with high prices, a total lack of qualified checkers, and really really bad floor layout, and couple it with an aging population who needs to move v,,e,,r,,y,, slowly, AND a sharply curtailed selection, you do get something that is uniquely Swedish.

I grew up on a little tropical island that had to import just about everything. Even in the god-forsaken wasteland that were the grocery stores of my youth, we all managed to share limited space nicely, speak kindly to each other, and get in and out without danger of shopping-cart-contusions. Besides, I am not pissed at Canada or the UK today, cos I am not shopping there. Let me just have this moment to whinge and I'll get over it.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:47 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Nicklouse)

It is not just Sweden.

I think the key word in your post is "some". In the UK, supermarkets like Tesco's and Sainbury's are brilliant - and not just in comparison with the Swedish stores.

And yes, bonjour, it's nice to be able to get your decent-quality, low-priced beers at the same time (even on Sundys!), instead of having to make a special trip to the archaic monopoly that is Systemet.

DidiE, I'm totally with you, although my biggest gripe is with the people who don't know how to say "Ursäkta" and just shove past you, nudging you as they go... I don't generally get dirty looks when I say it - people tend to look apologetic when I ask to pass. I just don't get why more people don't use that word. I mean why does it even exist if hardly anyone uses it?

Mark Base
Helsingbloggin' - Malmö
Observations and opinions about Helsingborg and Malmö

EDIT: You're not really anti-cheesecake, are you? sad.gif
+
Lisaann
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:52 PM
Post #12

OMG, someone who shares my frustrations! I have been in many supermarkets in the USA, and people are overall, more courteous and friendly.

You need to addÖ-
1. Those that spit right in front of you on the sidewalk
2. Those that step on your toes, and do not even say sorry, instead they look at you, like you just did them an infraction!
3. Those that cough right in your face without covering their mouths (Common manners)
4. Those that blow smoke right up your face

Manners, Self Respect, Boundaries, Discipline, Etiquette and Diplomacy, are just a few words to describe the "lack thereof! " Who the cap fit let them wear it!

Unless values, principles,disciplines, manners are taught to our children, Im afraid this society and many others in the world, will continue to breed a generation of nonchanlant, rude souls!
+
Mack
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:52 PM
Post #13

Yeah Mack, stupids is everywhere, but when you combine stupids with high prices, a total lack of qualified checkers, and really really bad floor layout, and couple it with an aging population who needs to move v,,e,,r,,y,, slowly, AND a sharply curtailed selection, you do get something that is uniquely Swedish.

Absolutely true... plus in Sweden you have the general lack of politeness and consideration that goes everywhere in public.

I sometimes shop at a store near a lot of seniors and what drives me crazy is that they can shop all goddamn week but no... they have to come out on Saturday morning. :evil:
+
bonjour
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:53 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (PageyGB)
Oi! Bonjour, leave the Netto in Toxteth alone!!!! It's fine... although the closest thing to a Swedish "supermarket" I've seen.

Sorry.
+
DidiE
post 24.Mar.2009, 02:53 PM
Post #15

You know what one thing, apart from not charging for shopping bags, that these evil bastiches could do to improve shopping conditions? And it's such an easy thing to do- when there's a long line, oh, let's make it a long line by Swedish standards even, say, fifty people or so, and the second checker is finally done with her fika and lunch breaks and has finished texting her mates, and she comes to open another lane---this checker should physically take hold of the cart that is closest to the front of the line in the original line and move it with her to the new checkout line. That way, people who have been waiting longest get served first. What a common sense and courteous thing to do, and yet...and yet...the concept of not cutting in front of someone who has been waiting, of taking one's turn, which IS basically a Swedish concept, seems to not be understood in this situation.
+

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: