The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Pumpking Carving Kits

New to Gävle or Europe for that fact.

tiggerms2
post 7.Oct.2013, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Hello, I am sorry to say I'm new to this forum and this country. I haven't adjusted to the lifestyle quite yet and I find myself loaded with questions, much relating to the holidays I celebrated in Alaska. With Halloween quickly approaching I wanted to share a grand tradition, PUMPKIN CARVING; but found an issue. No kits to use for the pumpkins nor any pumpkins. I was informed that the orange, plump things will be out more towards the middle of October but no one seems to know what kits I am talking about, nor have they done it themselves. What I'm asking if anyone has done it and knows where I can get the kits or at least seen them some where.

Thank you for your time and thanks for any helpful responses. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 7.Oct.2013, 01:55 PM
Post #2

go to any market in about the next week or two, they'll be everywhere, several stalls, all sizes and prices.
Patience is a virtue.
+
olga118
post 7.Oct.2013, 05:34 PM
Post #3

I looked for them last year and didn't find them anywhere so I am sorry I can't help you. But if you find them would you please share that because I would also like one. Thanks
+
tiggerms2
post 7.Oct.2013, 06:34 PM
Post #4

Sure no problem. I may have to contact my family back in Alaska to ship some up here. I am REALLY hoping I don't have to do that.
+
Opalnera
post 7.Oct.2013, 07:13 PM
Post #5

It would probably be a lot easier to find one in Stockholm. I must admit I've never seen them before so I had a little look online.

http://www.partykungen.se/verktyg-for-pumpa.html
http://www.buttericks.se/product.html/verk...?category_id=98

Buttericks don't have a shop in Gävle but they supply to a retailer called "Magasinet i Hemlingby ab c/o Barnens Hus". You could try around in toy shops, fancy dress shops and department stores in a couple of weeks or if you don't want to risk it there's always Amazon UK.
+
RexCogidubnus
post 7.Oct.2013, 07:22 PM
Post #6

Is this what you're after, in Netto this week?
+
Opalnera
post 7.Oct.2013, 07:49 PM
Post #7

Ooh that looks super I'm almost tempted to go and get one myself. I've never heard of Netto before are they just in Västerås and Sollentuna?
+
RexCogidubnus
post 7.Oct.2013, 08:04 PM
Post #8

They've got quite a few stores in the south, but seems they haven't yet ventured north of Västerås unfortunately...
+
skogsbo
post 7.Oct.2013, 09:01 PM
Post #9

I should say by market, I didn't mean supermarket, I meant market, as in on a town square once or twice a week, temporary stalls etc. Or a slightly less often farmers market.

Not sure what a carving kit is though, a knife is all you need, perhaps a spoon or ladle for clearing out.
+
olga118
post 7.Oct.2013, 09:19 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 7.Oct.2013, 06:13 PM) *
It would probably be a lot easier to find one in Stockholm. I must admit I've never seen them before so I had a little look online.http://www.partykungen.se/verktyg-for-pu ... (show full quote)

YES. This is kind of it. There are more elements to the USA kits but this is it. Cool. Thanks.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Oct.2013, 10:47 PM
Post #11

Kits!!!

What happened to knives, pumpkins...and imagination???

And...don't dump the seeds...bake them for a great snack!

And...how about a pie too!

Gee, I just made a pie and snack kit!!! laugh.gif
+
tiggerms2
post 8.Oct.2013, 04:35 PM
Post #12

I still enjoy my kits... I get a bit nervous handling a knife that is made to dice, not carve a pumpkin. Kits offer a safe way to do that. Don't worry I roast my seeds, even adding other flavorings. I know how to make a pumpkin pie as well... and yes the links above are kind of what I'm looking for. I will keep looking until the end of this week; if I find any I will post the link or store I find them at. smile.gif I also want to say thank you for all the helpful posts so far!
+
skogsbo
post 8.Oct.2013, 08:50 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (tiggerms2 @ 8.Oct.2013, 04:35 PM) *
I get a bit nervous handling a knife that is made to dice, not carve a pumpkin.

smile.gif
+
whatnowki
post 8.Oct.2013, 10:36 PM
Post #14

tiggerms2-

ok, i'm writing from San Francisco- Look, you don't need a pumpkin carving kit at all- I know, I know, it would be nice to carve a pumpkin to carry on the tradition, but when I have been short pumpkin carving sets I have stolen my husbands tighty- white-e underpants and found just the right sized pumpkin to "wear" the underpants or one year I put my pumpkin in a scuba mask and snorkel-

Damn!!!! If only my Swedish husband had a reason to visit in October I would bring so many Halloween things!!!!

I feel for you, I totally do!!!!!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: