The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Using mobile phones while driving

Isn’t it about time that Sweden banned it

Rick Methven
post 3.Nov.2009, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Swedes have been using mobile phones for longer than any other European country.

The Nordic Telephone System was rolled out in 1981 in Sweden and Norway. The early phones where fixed car installations that Swedes took to in large numbers. Today Sweden has more mobile phones than population and handheld phones are constantly being used while driving.

The following European countries prohibit use of mobile phones behind the wheel and impose fines of up to €160 for using a phone while driving

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands , Norway, Portugal ,Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, UK.

19 out of 27 EU countries have a specific law forbidding use of mobile while driving.

I Find it amazing that Sweden, that has so many draconian traffic laws is lagging behind countries like Bulgaria.

What Vägverket says is :
”För närvarande finns det inget specifikt förbud mot att prata i mobilen när man kör bil, men som förare är du alltid skyldig att köra på ett trafiksäkert sätt”

(See http://publikationswebbutik.vv.se/upload/1...len_i_bilen.pdf for full VV paper on mobile use)

Sweden relies on the law requiring safe driving to ‘discourage’ mobile phone use on the move.

Why has the Swedish Parliament refused to enact a specific law?

Is it just bloody mindedness or is there something else……
Go to the top of the page
+
Lostaussie
post 3.Nov.2009, 03:22 PM
Post #2

I almost got run over yesterday while crossing the road on a marked crossing by a woman yapping on her mobile and not looking! They should be taken out and shot :-)
+
Jasoncarter
post 3.Nov.2009, 03:27 PM
Post #3

A side effect of this is that no data is collected on mobile phone usage in conjunction with accidents: mobile phone call logs aren't checked by investigating police. It is very very rarely given as a cause of an accident. It has been proved on many occasions that the use of a handheld mobile phone impairs driving ability to a greater degree than being intoxicated to the legal alcohol limit. Utter madness that it is still permitted.
+
Rick Methven
post 3.Nov.2009, 04:49 PM
Post #4

Accross the road from my house is a dagis.

This morning a woman came out of the school with a young child talking on her phone. Strapped the child in while still talking. Started up and moved off - still on the phone and ran staight into the back of my neighbours car. Got out of her car - still on the phone to check the damage!
+
IND
post 3.Nov.2009, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Well, I am not for usage of mobile phones while driving, but still want to highlight that besides the fact that Sweden doesn't prohibit use of mobile phones while driving, the country has lowest (or second lowest) accident rate among all EU countries.
+
Essingen
post 3.Nov.2009, 08:03 PM
Post #6

Well since the EU managed to introduce laws specifying how many hours lorry drivers could work, can someone explain to me why they can't introduce a blanket bank on phone useage across all EU cou tries?
+
Mb 65
post 3.Nov.2009, 08:37 PM
Post #7

The other day i was in a bus on the E6 motorway, and looked into the car we were overtaking, and there was a women with a rear facing baby seat in the front passenger seat. She was feeding the baby with both hands. one holding the jar of baby food and the other feeding the baby. The problem with Swedish drivers is they do not look any further than the end of there cars bonnet.
+
Jasoncarter
post 3.Nov.2009, 08:38 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (IND @ 3.Nov.2009, 08:45 PM) *
Well, I am not for usage of mobile phones while driving, but still want to highlight that besides the fact that Sweden doesn't prohibit use of mobile phones while driving, ... (show full quote)

Not true, I'm afraid. While Sweden does have a relatively low fatal accident to population ratio - in the bottom 10 of the EU - it does have a rising injury accident rate, contrary to the majority of EU lands. You can look at the data here:

http://www.erso.eu/data/content/statistica...tistical_Report
+
jm77
post 4.Nov.2009, 08:17 AM
Post #9

It is not only car drivers though. I saw last week a van driver talking on his phone in his right hand, his iphone in the left hand, and driving along through the centre of stockholm with only a couple of fingers on the steering wheel.

What about the pendeltåg (stockholm commuter trains) drivers and conductors? I see them frequently pulling into the station whilst on the phone. Bus drivers too.

It seems madness that people driving public transport can be holding a phone.
+
Mzungu
post 4.Nov.2009, 08:48 AM
Post #10

Similar circumstances,(at least one hand off the wheel),dissimilar actions: Perhaps psychiatric help would cure dipstick mobile phone uses?

TL 14/10 ...Masturbating truck driver convicted of careless driving.
A German truck driver charged for masturbating while behind the wheel of his truck when it crashed has been ordered to undergo psychiatric care.

*just a thought*
+
Trooper
post 4.Nov.2009, 09:25 AM
Post #11

Personally speaking, I think there are already more draconian Laws regarding driving in Sweden that I do not think we need to try to advocate any more here. Besides which, I find it curiously liberating to find that the Swedes are taking their own line on this. There are more dangerous activities than using a mobile phone such as drinking alcohol -.which the Swedes have already cracked down hard on - or perhaps, fiddling with a music system which is also still allowed. Do you want to advocate a ban that use perrhaps? You should also remember that driving conditions here are quite different to most other countries. For example, there is a lot less traffic to deal with while driving distances are longer and for the most part there is very little to deal with or think about along the e roads except to drive at a relatively low speed in a straight line. So I would even argue that being able to talk to somebody during a long boring 3 hour journey helps to keep people sane.
+
Casual
post 4.Nov.2009, 09:50 AM
Post #12

I totally agree with the banning of mobile phones whilst driving. I cycle to work and part of this involves travelling around a large roundabout, at least 2-3 times a week a car will almost knock me off because they have drifted out of their lane too far. This is almost always because they are trying to steer with one hand and hold their mobile phone with the other... madness !

When I give them 'evils' I almost always get an innocent 'what did I do wrong?' look back.

Bus drivers are another pain ! On the same roundabout they will see me coming round, make eye contact and then pull out leaving me no time to stop. I once almost skidded off my bike and banged loudly on the side of the bus when this happened a few weeks ago. I wouldn't totally mind if they didn't see me, but the fact that the driver looked directly at me, made eye contact and then pulled out giving me no space to stop is unforgivable...

GRRR...
+
*Guest*
post 4.Nov.2009, 10:04 AM
Post #13

I really think that there should be a total review of what is placed in cars - cruise control, sophisticated stereo players, tvs, dvds, nice comfortable seats that you can lie back in and rest, mobile phones, armor protection so that if you somehow fall asleep, you won't at least hurt yourself, only tear up the neighborood, etc. - and removal of everything which interferes with the driver's attention and control.

Driving should be a full time job where you are constantly alert about what is going on, and prepared to react immediately to anything threatening which happens. Just one screw-up can ruin your life.

The way it is now, many hardly are keeping tract.
+
jack sprat
post 4.Nov.2009, 11:25 AM
Post #14

I agree with most of that. The layout of essential and most used controls should be more standardised and a limit placed on the non-essential bells and whistles.
Definitely no screens of any description should be in viewing range of the driver, incl.dvds sat-navs and mobiles.
Visible screens are already illegal in some countries
Just seen a horror shot, to nasty to post,...the result of mobile use, where the driver drove out of a T-junction across the path of the traffic.
An oncoming motor-cycle c/w rider ended up completely inside of a car... the rider and car occupants were all killed.
Talking of car drivers falling asleep,how about that N.W.aircraft that flew on 150 miles past its destination, before the crew were alerted or awakened by the cabin staff.
They are believed to have fallen asleep,but won't admit to it...Not the first time its happened.
+
Mzungu
post 4.Nov.2009, 11:27 AM
Post #15

Trow,you forgot to mention TV...
Attached Image
Cab drivers in South Korea can continue to have televisions on their dashboards, despite the risk of crashing, a court has ruled. BBC.

*sorry joe,52" prohibited*
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: