The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Comfortable salary in Stockholm?

Need to decide whether to take offer

rajarana
post 3.May.2017, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Hi,

I've been offered an IT consultant position in Stockholm with ~50,000 sek/month.

My question is:

1. Is it enough to live comfortably in Stockholm?
2. Is it worth working in Stockholm as an IT consultant. Hows the market/work culture?

I am an outgoing sort of guy, so my main concerns are making friends, going out to socialize/party/etc, playing sports, attending events, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page
+
TLSucks
post 3.May.2017, 11:03 PM
Post #2

Depends on what you mean by comfortably. You will not need to live frugally but you will not be able to afford a house and two cars. 50k gives you 35k after tax. Rent is the major expense in Stockholm, and a small studio apartment could cost you anything from 5k/month and upwards. Realistically you will probably spend 10k/month on rent, if you can find one. The rental market is dysfunctional and it is easier to buy if you have the cash (you can only borrow up to 85% of the market value).

A car is a waste of time and money if you live in central Stockholm, so expect another 5k/month (parking, repairs, tax, depreciation) if you want a car. Congestion tax is expensive.

Regarding social life it depends on the company. If you have younger colleagues they might be up for beer/sports, while the ones with kids will leave office at 16.30 everyday and never attend any social activities. A good way to meet people is to join a club/society, e.g. the local soccer/squash club.
+
rajarana
post 4.May.2017, 07:51 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 3.May.2017, 10:26 PM) *
A lot of IT people end up there: http://www.wpholders.se/ . Irrespective of salary this is not a comfortable life to live. Others will be able to break down what 50ksek per mo ... (show full quote)

Hi Wallace, thanks for the heads up. I guess the way around this would be to apply way in advance to allow enough time and make sure your employer does not make any mistakes.
+
rajarana
post 4.May.2017, 07:54 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (TLSucks @ 4.May.2017, 12:03 AM) *
Depends on what you mean by comfortably. You will not need to live frugally but you will not be able to afford a house and two cars. 50k gives you 35k after tax. Rent is the m ... (show full quote)

Thanks for the detailed reply TLSucks! I'm a single guy and don't plan to buy a car. So I guess 50k would suit me just fine until I decide to get married.

Hopefully then my wife can start working too so affording things like a bigger house and cars should be easier.

As for social life, isn't it normal to be able to meet new people outside of the work like social events, sports, clubs, etc?
+
Sthlm83
post 4.May.2017, 08:26 AM
Post #5

50k is a good salary that a single person should be able to live comfortably on (and still be able to save 10-15%). Regarding social activities: as mentioned, some work places have a really good social vibe, while others are quite boring. So hopefully you get some younger/single colleagues who are up to do things outside work too.

Another good starting point for a foreigner would be to browse meetup.com and see if you find a group (or groups) that interest you. There's plenty of IT related groups that are organized/sponsored by different companies, so besides potentially making new friends, this would be a great networking opportunity as well (in Stockholm your network is everything).

If you're playing a sport, there's likely a local team you could join as well.
+
TLSucks
post 4.May.2017, 08:48 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 4.May.2017, 08:34 AM) *
50kSEK is not in salary, but his consulting "cost". What is the salary part of the 50kSEK?

He is likely offered a position at one of the main IT consultancies, so that would be his salary.
+
yet another brit
post 4.May.2017, 11:13 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 4.May.2017, 08:34 AM) *
50kSEK is not in salary, but his consulting "cost". What is the salary part of the 50kSEK?

It is almost certainly a pre-tax salary. But if it were a consultancy fee, then to the very first approximation you'd lose 25% in the self-employed version of employers tax (add-on rate of 32%) before paying personal tax on what is left.

There is also a pension element (and tax on it) which comes with, but isn't included in a salary, but would be included in a self-employed rate. In reality, you have to bill around 80k/month to get the equivalent take-home to a 50k salary.

Companies are absolutely forbidden in nearly all circumstance to just give someone money to sort their own tax out [has to go via someone/something registered as a corporate entity].

50k is certainly a pretty good salary - over the overall national median - but works out less in take-home than 2 people each earning 25k. Remember Sweden assumes that everyone is a couple, and that everyone works.
+
rajarana
post 4.May.2017, 11:19 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 4.May.2017, 09:34 AM) *

50k is the overall salary, I'm working for a consultancy company, not self-employed.
+
rajarana
post 4.May.2017, 11:23 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Sthlm83 @ 4.May.2017, 09:26 AM) *
50k is a good salary that a single person should be able to live comfortably on (and still be able to save 10-15%). Regarding social activities: as mentioned, some work places ... (show full quote)

Nice, thanks for the tips. I've heard Swedish people are a bit hard to get to know out of work so I'm not banking on my colleagues even if they might be young and open-minded.

It looks like there are enough things to do outside of work to keep me happy though, so thats good smile.gif

Why do you say your network is everything? I would imagine its the same in any big city in the world, or is there something different about Stockholm?
+
rajarana
post 4.May.2017, 11:24 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (yet another brit @ 4.May.2017, 12:13 PM) *
50k is certainly a pretty good salary - over the overall national median - but works out less in take-home than 2 people each earning 25k. Remember Sweden assumes that everyon ... (show full quote)

Yes, I wouldn't want to remain single and support a household on that salary. Hopefully if I settle down in Sweden, my partner can work as well to bring in enough money to support a family.
+
delta76
post 4.May.2017, 05:38 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 4.May.2017, 07:09 AM) *
Hi, You are only allowed to apply for renewal one month before the old permit expires, and when you are eligible for PUT (after 4 years in Sweden) you can apply for renewal ... (show full quote)

Wrong, you are recommended to apply at least one month before the WP expires, and you can apply up to 6 months before.

Source: Done it myself. Applied three month before it expires.

For Sambo visa it can be different, though.
+
rajarana
post 4.May.2017, 06:35 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (delta76 @ 4.May.2017, 06:38 PM) *
Wrong, you are recommended to apply at least one month before the WP expires, and you can apply up to 6 months before.Source: Done it myself. Applied three month before it exp ... (show full quote)

Almost correct. In reality, you can apply 6 months after working on a work permit which means you can apply up to 18 months before your permit expires (assuming a 2 year work permit).

The current waiting times at the migrationsverket website are 12-15 months so you should be able to get it 3 months before the expiry of your current permit, in the worst case scenario if you apply at the earliest possible time smile.gif

Source: https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...g-a-permit.html
+
Emerentia
post 6.May.2017, 01:17 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (rajarana @ 3.May.2017, 08:13 PM) *
Hi,I've been offered an IT consultant position in Stockholm with ~50,000 sek/month.My question is:1. Is it enough to live comfortably in Stockholm?2. Is it worth working i ... (show full quote)

You will have a higher income than 96 % of the people in Sweden, so you would be able to live quite comfortable, in comparison.
Source: http://pejl.svt.se/visualisering/inkomster/var-ar-du/

If you like solitude, nature, serenity, darkness, cold, peacefulness, and people who will leave you alone and not disturb you, you will fit in and be comfortable here. If you are outgoing and want to make friends and going out to socialize/party, you should choose another country. If you move here with that attitude, you will only get disappointed and restless. There are already tons of people like you, moving Stockholm, and then complain about it not being London, Berlin or Barcelona and how boring it is here and that they don't have any friends. You will be just another one of those lonely people complaining about how much they hate Sweden and Swedes. Everyone of them probably thought that they were different, and that they would be able to make friends.
+
rajarana
post 6.May.2017, 03:04 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Emerentia @ 6.May.2017, 02:17 PM) *
You will have a higher income than 96 % of the people in Sweden, so you would be able to live quite comfortable, in comparison.Source: http://pejl.svt.se/visualisering/inkomst ... (show full quote)

Hi Emerentia, thanks for that honest opinion. I've heard that it can indeed be notoriously difficult to make friends and maintain a social life and such with the Swedes.

But what do you think about the expat community? Surely it should be easier then to meet all the disappointed people and live in the expat bubble? I don't frankly care much about the type of friends I make (Swedish or not) and from my brief visit there a couple weeks ago it seemed like a bustling city with lots of young groups of people keeping themselves busy (granted the weather was unusually good for Sweden but still).

I want to be realistic and budget 6 months of the year staying inside and keeping to myself, but when summer comes along, it shouldn't be so bad, right? smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: